Well-designed skylights add beauty, style, and value to your home. They can also save energy and provide health benefits. A skylight in the master bedroom provides a panorama of the night sky. A skylight installed in a dark kitchen or a windowless bathroom floods the room with natural light, completely transforming its character.
There are many types of skylights to choose from including fixed, ventilated, and tubular or sun tunnels. Consider these advantages to skylights:
- They add a uniqueness to your home. Mass produced houses rarely come with features that make them standout. But adding skylights is a home improvement that upgrades both the interior and the exterior at the same time. Well designed skylights give your house a distinct look on the outside and bathes the interior with natural sunlight.
- Skylights are an excellent way to add natural lighting to rooms that have no exterior walls.
- The cost of lighting during the day can be offset by natural light from skylights.
- With a ventilated skylight, hot, moist air from a shower, or heat from an oven can be vented out. A constant flow of fresh air enters the room from an open skylight.
- Natural light from energy efficient skylights produces energy savings by lowering heating or air conditioning costs, as well as reducing the use of artificial lights.
- Skylights make the room look bigger and more luxurious. Installing a skylight will automatically make the ceiling look wider and the natural light has a relaxing, peaceful affect.
- Skylights really brighten rooms that tend to be dark during the Pacific Northwest’s gloomy winters. Skylights can capture up to 30 percent more light than standard windows.
- Research shows that adding natural light boosts moods and productivity. Fresh air from vented skylights can also be healthful.
Adding skylights to your home will give it a distinct look. Skylights provide natural light and can add ventilation. And they can help save on energy bills. Humans, plants, and animals thrive under natural light. Sunlight from skylights makes rooms appear larger and increases the beauty of the space. Natural lighting helps people be more productive, happier, healthier and calmer.
The optimum time to add skylights is when you are installing a new roof. Whether you choose fixed, ventilated, or tubular (sun tunnel) skylights, it is best to hire a professional who knows how to install and repair existing installations. Pfeifer Roofing has the experience and knowledge to properly install your skylights to prevent leaks and to provide energy efficiency.
Also see our article What is the Difference Between a Sun Tunnel and a Skylight?